Open College Network West Midlands Level 2 Award in Science
- Age rangePre-16
National Subject Sector: 2.1 Science
About this qualification
The Open College Network West Midlands Level 2 Award in Science has been designed to engender an interest in science and encourage a spirit of enquiry. This qualification is a generalist qualification, covering physical and life sciences, and applications of science in, for example, forensics and architecture. Centres can choose from a variety of units, as appropriate to the needs of learners. Learners will be equipped with the knowledge and skills required to progress to higher level qualifications in science.
Objectives of the qualification
This qualification can be used flexibly to meet learner needs. Depending on the context of the learning and the needs of each individual learner, the qualification can:
- Prepare individuals to progress to a qualification in the same subject area but at a higher level or requiring more specific knowledge, skills and understanding
- Prepare learners for employment
- Support a role in the workplace
- Encourage engagement in learning
Why choose this qualification?
This qualification has been designed to enable learners to:
- Develop an interest in scientific enquiry;
- Develop the skills and knowledge needed to progress to higher level study in science.
- Age rangePre-16
To be awarded the Open College Network West Midlands Level 2 Award in Science, learners must achieve:
- 6 credits from any of the units in Mandatory Group M at Level 2
Portfolio of evidence.
A relevant teaching qualification such as a:
- Level 3 Award in Education and Training; or
- Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training; or
- Level 3 or 4 PTLLS (or equivalent) and
- A relevant professional qualification in a science related subject at Level 3 or above and
- Relevant recent experience in the field of science.
Internal Quality Assurer (IQA):
- Holds or is working towards a Level 4 Award in Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practices or its equivalent.
- Has substantial experience of working in or assessing qualifications in science.
- Is familiar with the assessment requirements of the qualification for which they are the Internal Quality Assurer.
The Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) provide funding for different qualifications in England; details of which can be found here.
To search for our funded qualifications on the Hub type OPENCOLLNETWESTMID in the box “Awarding Org Code or Name”.
For further details and guidance on the various funding streams that relate to our qualifications, please go to our dedicated funding page.
Learner requirements, units and assessment informationdownload
Apply for this qualification
You can apply online now to offer this qualification.Apply now
Book a call back
To discuss your ideas with one of our advisors.Book Now