Open College Network West Midlands Level 4 Certificate in Professional Pet Sitting, Dog Walking, Dog Daycare and Boarding
- Age range18+
National Subject Sector: 3.3 Animal Care and Veterinary Science
About this qualification
This qualification has been developed in partnership with Cambridge Institute of Dog Behaviour and Training to provide a professional qualification for those already working or looking to work in the area of Dog Walking, Pet Sitting, Pet Boarding and Dog Daycare.
Objectives of the qualification
This qualification has been designed to provide learners with the underpinning knowledge to work with domestic dogs as a dog walker, dog daycare/boarding provider and with domestic cats and dogs in a pet-sitting capacity either in their own or the client’s home. There are no practical units within this qualification and thus, learners will not be assessed on practical dog walking or pet sitting skills as part of this qualification.For further details download the Qualification Specification
Why choose this qualification?
By taking learners through the basics of canine rules of engagement and working with unfamiliar animals, this qualification will allow learners to set up in business on their own behalf, or will provide a stepping-stone to higher level qualifications in canine care, welfare and training.
- Age range18+
To achieve the Open College Network West Midlands Level 4 Certificate in Professional Pet Sitting, Dog Walking, Dog Daycare and Boarding, learners must achieve:
- 13 credits available from the Mandatory Unit Group
- no optional units for this qualification.
Learners should be aged 18 or above. Whilst there are no minimum requirements, learners should be educated to Level 2 standard and be comfortable in the presence of both dogs and cats with whom they are unfamiliar.
Portfolio of evidence which will include essays.
To offer this qualification, centres must ensure that tutors hold or are working towards:
- Teaching qualification at Level 4 or above such as the Level 4 Certificate in
Education and Training or equivalent
- Regulated qualifications at Level 4 or above in Canine Behaviour, Training and Welfare or similar related area, or have demonstrable previous experience in dog behaviour and training in a
professional capacity for in excess of ten years
- Demonstrable professional experience of working in the sector and specifically in the
area of dog walking, dog daycare/boarding and pet sitting
- Membership of a professional body, such as the Canine & Feline Behaviour
Internal Quality Assurer (IQA):
Centres must also ensure that they have in place an Internal Quality Assurance person who:
- Holds or is working towards a Level 4 Award in Internal Quality Assurance of
Assessment Processes and Practices or its equivalent
- Has substantial experience of working in or assessing qualifications in canine and
feline care, pet sitting, dog walking, dog daycare/boarding, animal training and
relevant qualifications at Level 3 in dog behaviour.
- Is familiar with the assessment requirements of the qualification for which they are
the Internal Quality Assurer
The Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) provide funding for different qualifications in England; details of which can be found here.
To search for our funded qualifications on the Hub type OPENCOLLNETWESTMID in the box “Awarding Org Code or Name”.
For further details and guidance on the various funding streams that relate to our qualifications, please go to our dedicated funding page.
Learner requirements, units and assessment informationdownload
Apply for this qualification
You can apply online now to offer this qualification.Apply now
Book a call back
To discuss your ideas with one of our advisors.Book Now